Sunday, February 21, 2010

Soccer and lightning

So last Monday we tried to go to a soccer game within a 5 min walk from our house. The game was between the local Lesotho national team and the South African national team and it was a friendly to tune up the South Africans for the world cup. Unlike the states when they see lightning here they keep playing...until it gets really close...Before I go on I need to mention there are more lightning storms here in lesotho than anywhere in the world...So eventhough it was a big storm compared to ones in the states we started to walk to the game. The storm wasn't a few miles away....it was directly above us and lightning would strike very close to us as we walked quickly to the game. We where hoping to see a few minutes then walk back because it was dangerous to stay the whole game. So when we almost get there...a huge lightning bolt strikes between us and the soccer building...the bolt was within 15 feet of myself and the other people with me. The energy from the bolt shook my body and made me jump. There was only one other time I was that close to lightning (I was in a bus in brazil where lightning blew up a transformer within 5 feet of my window in the bus). Once we got in the building (there was no stadium just this building where the players stayed...kinda like a dorm house.) Anyways we got inside the building and all the players where one floor below us. Soon after they came up to where we where and I got to talk to one of the players in the South African team for a short bit. He thought we where from the international school down the street but I told him we where from YWAM. He had a lot of concern for us to try to run back to the house but we went anyways the storm had moved on a little bit... As we left and said bye to the player we ran as quick as we could. It was quite scary as lightning and the deafening thunder was still very close. All of us did a lot of praying as we ran back. By Gods grace we made it back safe and sound and have a crazy story to go with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment