Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Bush Week 1

Just to get to the bush we had to leave a main road that was 3 hours from the "big city" of Maun...which is really just a small town with a bunch of tourists and from there we hit a dirt road that takes 3 hours to go 120 km or 80 miles or so. As mentioned in the previous post we had now 11 people in this SUV and it was well cramped. Once we got there we again pitched our tents and expected this to be a very simple place to be...we had brought all our food and water for the next 2 weeks as we thought we would have no modern anything. Well as we see over the next few weeks we where blessed over and over again. If you remember from the previous post about the random african that came with us to the town we where staying at, Mahopa... Well he ended up staying with us for 4 days and we fed him everyday... It was hard for me to feed him since we had specific food rations and he never did anything with us...but God showed me a lesson about that later on... HE WILL PROVIDE!!! I will have to split my time there in 3 different posts because I don't have time at the moment to say all that we did. The first week we went to a local church and did an amazing amount of weeding and cutting down trees and making a large space for a huge garden that will later go in. We also saw a small black momba...one of the most deadly snakes in africa.. the local bushman kids where playing with it and then showed the speared snake and I had to bury it! (I also saw a huge one the next week)... We did that for the first 3 or so days and later that week the base leader and his family had to leave to go to a conference so Josh and myself drove back to where there car was...120 km away on that 4x4 road. Once we dropped them off Josh and myself had to drive back on that road and he drove the first third or so and then it was my turn to drive the manual SUV. I had had a few lessons about driving a stick from my brother and Lodie but it just didn't stick but when I did it this time I didn't stall once (well I forgot the e-brake was on twice and that messed it up but that doesn't count) and I feel fine driving that stick and hopefully can drive when I get home as well. Later that week we started to do some yard work in Dries' yard and then relaxed for the weekend (which isn't normal for a DTS). On sunday we went to a small..(4 people small) church and met some off the locals which was fun. They actually had two church's going on that one (where we did the yard work at) and at Dries' house. I went to the first one but didn't go to the second. Oh I also forgot that in that week we bought a goat and slaughtered it and in the bush we had goat meat for about a week and a half. Ribs, steaks, stew, we where spoiled! The second week we where even more spoiled but that is for the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment